So I this is my first time making these delicious brownies. I had heard they were tasty and you can’t tell that there are beans inside. Well, “they” were right! They are so good! I’m sure the fact that it is covered in chocolate chips doesn’t hurt. I feel as a dietitian I must try these healthy alternative options to see if they are something I should recommend to other people. So I am spreading to you now! These brownies won’t last long because you will want to eat them all!! Nom nom nom!
Black Bean Dark Chocolate Brownies
- 1 (14 oz) canned low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large eggs or 1 whole ripe banana
- 1/2 cup Special dark Hershey’s cocoa powder, regular cocoa powder will work as well
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk (or dairy, skim) or water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground coffee or instant coffee
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided (Hershey’s or Ghirardelli)
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a nonstick 9 x 9-inch square baking pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides.
Blend the black beans, eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, oil, almond milk, balsamic, baking soda, baking powder and coffee in the blender until smooth and pour into a bowl. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips until combined. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips evenly over the top of the brownies.
Bake the brownies until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 to 32 minutes. Allow the brownies to cool completely before slicing them into squares.
“When You Eat, You Should Eat Well”- Enjoy Ellen